Cost Segregation Studies
Dean Dorton’s Cost Segregation Study Expertise
Your company’s real estate likely represents a large capital investment. With Dean Dorton’s engineering-based cost segregation study, you maximize your real property’s financial return by generating significant cash flow savings. Our cost segregation professionals generate cash tax savings by carving out shorter-lived assets, qualifying for five-, seven-, or fifteen-year write-off periods that are normally embedded in a building’s construction or acquisition costs, generally depreciated over thirty-nine years.
Cost segregation is a highly specialized segment of tax law. The volume of judicial decisions, IRS rulings, regulations, and other interpretations spans thousands of pages of text. The challenge is to apply this complex knowledge to the unique facts of your industry, your company’s circumstances, and the processes of your operation. Because our team has conducted thousands of cost segregation studies throughout the United States, we bring vast practical experience to your project.
A nonspecialist accountant who segregates percentages of construction costs based on invoices or other means will likely leave valuable tax benefits “on the table,” and the resulting documentation may not withstand IRS examination.
Dean Dorton’s Cost Segregation Services
Through our cost segregation studies, you can accelerate income tax depreciation deductions, providing you with improved cash flow. The Dean Dorton cost segregation study will help you uncover these buried tax savings from:
- New buildings presently under construction
- Existing building undergoing renovation, remodeling, restoration, or expansion
- Purchases of existing properties
- Office/facility leasehold improvements and “fit-outs”
- Post-1986 real estate construction, building acquisitions, or improvements where no cost segregation study was performed (even though the statute of limitations previously closed on the property construction/acquisition year)
- Property acquired under Section 1031 exchanges
- Purchases or inheritances of interests in partnerships which own appreciated buildings
Our clients benefit from cost segregation studies through greatly improved cash flow savings. One of Dean Dorton’s most recent cost segregation studies was on a $7.3 million manufacturing facility that was purchased and renovated in 2013, generating tax savings in the first year of $145,000. The present value of accelerated deductions (discounted at 8%) exceeded $267,000. The return on investment for this study was 44.5 to 1.
Why Choose Dean Dorton
- Innovative business thinking with a fresh perspective
- Attention to detail
- Commitment to accurate, quality and timely services
- Focused on helping each client succeed
- Nationally recognized experts who work personally with each client