Is Your Organization Prepared for ICD-10?
By: Dean Dorton | April 28, 2015
Question? Contact Us
October 1, 2015 is the compliance deadline to transition to […]
October 1, 2015 is the compliance deadline to transition to the new ICD-10-CM diagnosis code set.
As the scope and complexity of this transition is significant, Dean Dorton is committed to assisting your organization obtain the necessary information, training, and education needed to ensure a smoother ICD-10 transition. We can provide a variety of customized, professional services which may include:
- Assessment of medical record documentation
- Specialty-specific documentation education
- Comprehensive coder and biller training
- ICD-10 proficiency testing
ICD-10 will affect diagnosis and inpatient procedure coding for everyone covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), not just those who submit Medicare or Medicaid claims. The change to ICD-10 does not affect CPT coding for outpatient procedures.
Health care providers, payers, clearinghouses, and billing services must be prepared to comply with the transition to ICD-10, which means:
- All electronic transactions must use Version 5010 standards, which have been required since January 1, 2012. Unlike the older Version 4010/4010A standards, Version 5010 accommodates ICD-10 codes.
- ICD-10 diagnosis codes must be used for all health care services provided in the U.S., and ICD-10 procedure codes must be used for all hospital inpatient procedures. Claims with ICD-9 codes for services provided on or after the compliance deadline cannot be paid.
It is critical to ensure your organizations’ preparedness for the ICD-10 transition. Whether your organization is a provider of medical services or third party payer, detailed planning should be in process to develop an implementation strategy that includes an assessment of the impact on your organization, including a detailed timeline, budget, and potential staffing considerations.
For more information regarding our ICD-10 consulting services, contact Adam Shewmaker at email@example.com or 502-566-1054.
Have a question? Click here to contact this representative.