There are 360 new, 226 revised, and 142 deleted ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes finalized for fiscal 2018 taking effect October 1, 2017. Here are highlights of the coding changes in chapter order.
Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (E00-E89) (chapter 4): Two new codes specify “with ketoacidosis”
- E11.10: Type 2 diabetes mellitus with ketoacidosis without coma
- E11.11: Type 2 diabetes mellitus with ketoacidosis with coma
Diseases of the circulatory system (I00-I99) (chapter 9): Nineteen codes were added to this chapter
- I21.9: Acute myocardial infarction, unspecified
- I21.A1: Myocardial infarction type 2
- I21.A9: Other myocardial infarction type
- I27.20: Pulmonary hypertension, unspecified
- I27.21: Secondary pulmonary arterial hypertension
- I27.22: Pulmonary hypertension due to left heart disease
- I27.23: Pulmonary hypertension due to lung diseases and hypoxia
- I27.24: Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension
- I27.29: Other secondary pulmonary hypertension
- I27.83: Eisenmenger’s syndrome
- I50.810: Right heart failure, unspecified
- I50.811: Acute right heart failure
- I50.812: Chronic right heart failure
- I50.813: Acute on chronic right heart failure
- I50.814: Right heart failure due to left heart failure
- I50.82: Biventricular heart failure
- I50.83: High output heart failure
- I50.84: End stage heart failure
- I50.89: Other heart failure
Diseases of the digestive system (K00-K95) (chapter 11): Six new codes for Intestinal adhesions and obstructions were added to this chapter
- K56.50: Intestinal adhesions [bands], unspecified as to partial versus complete obstruction
- K56.51: Intestinal adhesions [bands], with partial obstruction
- K56.52: Intestinal adhesions [bands], with complete obstruction
- K56.690: Other partial intestinal obstruction
- K56.691: Other complete intestinal obstruction
- K56.699: Other intestinal obstruction unspecified as to partial versus complete obstruction
Diseases of the skin and subcutaneous tissue (L00-L99) (chapter 12): A total of 72 codes under category codes L97 and L98 were added to describe non-pressure chronic ulcers that involve muscle or bone without the presence of necrosis.
Pregnancy, childbirth, and the puerperium (O00-O9A) (chapter 15): In this chapter, 28 codes were added under O36.83 for maternal care for abnormalities in fetal heart rate or rhythm, and 12 codes under O00.10, O00.11, O00.20, and O00.21 to specify laterality of tubal and ovarian pregnancies.
Injury, poisoning, and certain other consequences of external causes (S00-T88) (chapter 19): With 300 changes overall, this chapter has the most revisions, but they are fairly minor. Only 12 codes are new, all related to unspecified injuries and suicides, but 176 codes were revised and 112 deleted.
Dean Dorton can help by offering comprehensive coding chart audits and provider documentation education. For more information, contact Brandy Montgomery at 502-566-1037 or email@example.com.