Erica Horn, CPA, J.D.
Erica has over 30 years of professional experience. She has spent the majority of her career advising clients on state and local tax issues. She has represented Kentucky and multi-national companies in tax controversies before the Kentucky Department of Revenue, Kentucky Claims Commission (formerly Kentucky Board of Tax Appeals) and the state and federal courts of the Commonwealth. Through her advice and advocacy, Erica has saved her clients millions of dollars in Kentucky taxes.
Erica has experience in a wide range of industries including construction, equine, manufacturing, and warehousing and distribution.
Erica is a prolific speaker and author. Examples of presentations she has given and panels on which she has recently participated follow.
- American Bar Association LLC Institute, State and Local Tax Matters, November 2017
- Dean Dorton Equine Tax and Accounting Update, Equine-Specific Sales and Use Tax Considerations, October 2017
- ABA-IPT Advanced Income Tax Conference, “Retroactive? Really? Is There a Line? Defining the Limits of Retroactive Legislation in the Post-Carlton Era”, March 2017
- KyCPA Kentucky State Tax Conference, The Manufacturers’ Long and Narrow Road to a Sales and Use Tax Exemption, November 2016
- COST Mid-West Regional State Tax Seminar, Survey of Today’s Most Important State Tax Cases, Issues & Policy Matters, October 2016
- Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, Navigating Sales & Use Tax in Kentucky, June 2014–2016
- KyCPA Kentucky State Tax Conference, Kentucky State and Local Tax Developments, 2015/2017
- American Distillers Institute Conference and Expo, Taxes – What, Where, and How Much, March 2015
- ABA-IPT Advanced Income Tax Conference, Revival of Due Process Challenges, March 2015
American Bar Association, Section of Taxation, CLE Committee; State and Local Tax Committee, Executive Committee; Co-Chair, ABA/IPT Advanced Income Tax Seminar; Member, Partnership Audit Rules Task Force
Kentucky Bar Association
Kentucky Society of Certified Public Accountants, State Tax Committee
Institute for Professionals in Taxation, Income and Sales and Use Tax Sections
GleanKY, Co-Founder, President, Chairperson of the Board of Directors
Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority, Kentucky Higher Education Student Loan Corporation, Kentucky Affordable Prepaid Tuition Chair, Boards of Directors; Chair, Program and Finance & Audit Committees (2009-2017)
Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration, Summa Cum Laude, 1983, Transylvania University, Lexington, Kentucky
Juris Doctor, With High Distinction, 1990, University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky