Doug Dean, CPA
Tax, Wealth & Estate Planning
Direct Line: 859.425.7608
Doug began his professional career with the international firm Coopers & Lybrand (currently part of PricewaterhouseCoopers) in Louisville, then in Lexington. In 1979, he formed the firm which became Dean, Dorton & Ford P.S.C., now part of Dean Dorton Allen Ford, PLLC. Doug has extensive experience in providing tax, estate planning, merger and acquisition, and business valuation services to individuals and businesses.
Throughout his career, Doug has provided services to many types of business, their owners and managers, and other high income and high net worth individuals. He was the initial and long-term leader of the firm’s equine industry team.
Doug has spoken to many groups about tax planning, tax developments, equine industry matters, estate planning, and business valuation, and he has authored numerous articles on some of these topics. Since its inception, Doug has been the editor of the firm’s quarterly newsletters, and he has developed and taught many Dean Dorton internal courses on income and estate and gift tax topics, the equine industry, and business writing.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Kentucky Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association
- American Horse Council, Tax Bulletin Advisory Committee Member
- Junior Achievement of the Bluegrass, Business Hall of Fame Laureate
- Commerce Lexington, William T. Young Lifetime Achievement Award
- Bluegrass Land Conservancy, Past Board Member, Executive Committee, Chair of Finance and Investment Committee, and Chair of Easement Committee
- Bluegrass Community Foundation, Past Board Member
- Centenary United Methodist Church, Member, Past Chair of Church Council, and Past Finance Committee Chair
- Commerce Lexington, Past Treasurer and Board Member
- Lexington Hearing and Speech Center, Past Chair of the Board of Directors
- Opera House Fund, Treasurer and Board Member
- Saint Joseph Healthcare, Past Chair of Finance Committee and Board Member
- Tubby Smith Foundation, Treasurer and Board Member
- Worldwide Hearts and Hands, Founder, Board Member, and President
- Triangle Foundation, Board and Executive Committee Member
- Kentucky United Methodist Children’s Homes, Board and Executive Committee Member; Audit Committee Chair
Bachelor of Arts in Management Sciences, 1971, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina