Dean Dorton’s Construction Team
Our team of specialized accounting and consulting advisors dedicated to the construction industry offer experience, expertise, and proven leadership to construction and architecture and engineering (A&E) clients seeking to successfully manage the pressures on margin, profitability and cash flows, while adapting to a continually changing environment. With one of the largest staffs in the Commonwealth, Dean Dorton’s accounting experience is substantial and varied.
Through our active involvement in construction industry organizations we know the key issues that affect the construction and A&E industry and your business. We focus on going beyond traditional compliance services to provide value added information on systems and controls, key performance indicators and benchmarking, and other operational and ownership issues. In addition, our thought leadership through seminars, newsletters and surveys is designed to keep you informed on emerging issues within the construction and A&E industries, to help you leverage our knowledge to maximize the value of your business.
Our construction clients cover many different trades and specialties within the construction industry and include companies performing commercial, industrial and highway construction throughout the United States. Our industry team serves A&E, general contractors, construction managers, and subcontractors. Our construction clients also represent many of the support services and vendors to the construction industry, including suppliers and manufacturers of materials, equipment rentals and sales, and labor organizations and unions.
We know that you need a team of advisors with a sophisticated understanding of your changing business landscape, and which has the experience to properly evaluate the risks you face and the requirements sought by your banker and surety that goes beyond the core traditional services such as audits, reviews, compilations, and corporate and individual tax services.
One of the many things we love about our A&E and construction clients is the strength of our relationships. In the A&E and construction industries, doing good work, keeping your word and meeting deadlines are all prized qualities. They are prized qualities with us, too, which may partly explain why serving the industry is such an important part of our business, and why our clients regard us as valued business partners.
We also look beyond our clients to help strengthen the industry in the communities we serve. We are active in the following industry groups through representation on the board to providing technical assistance and thought leadership:
- Construction Financial Management Association (CFMA)
- Associated General Contractors (AGC)
- Kentuckians for Better Transportation (KBT)
- Ohio Valley Construction Conference (OVCC)
- National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA)
- The Surety & Fidelity Association of America
- American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC)
Dean Dorton’s Construction Industry Services
We offer a full range of accounting and consulting services for construction companies and related entities, all delivered with the highest standards of independence and integrity. Our construction industry team is designed to pro-actively collaborate with you about your long-term financial and strategic goals, and includes the following services:
- Overhead audits, Eichleay calculations, and associated analysis
- Business valuations
- IT system selection and implementation
- Outsourced/co-sourced IT network administration
- IT and internal control assessments
- Restructuring and reengineering processes and controls
- Outsourced/co-sourced internal audit
- Developing multistate sales and use tax strategies
- Production deduction analysis
- Cost segregation studies
- Analyzing the most efficient corporate structure, including converting from a C-corporation to another form of entity with pass-through tax treatment
- Structuring a company’s operating agreement
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Succession and estate planning
- Strategic planning
- Cash flow forecasting
- Spend analytics and profitability analyses
- Application of the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and FAR/Overhead audits
- Litigation support and forensic accounting
- Performance of agreed upon procedures engagements
- Maximizing your existing bonding and banking relationship
- Structuring a plan to maximize your bonding capacity
- Preparing the financial information required by bonding companies and banks
- Cash flow analysis, working capital planning and evaluating borrowing needs
- Establishing surety bonding and banking relationships